Monday, August 5, 2013

August 5, 5:52 p.m., College, between Miles & Keith, Oakland, CA


KR: My name's Kallie Rogers, and I'm 22 years old.
INSM: And what brings you to this place at this time?
KR: Um so I'm on my way home from work. I live in Berkeley, I went to UC Berkeley and now I work in the city and commute back and forth.
INSM: And what do you do?
KR: I actually remove head lice.
INSM: Really?!
KR: Yes.
INSM: How did you start that job?
KR: Um, it was on craigslist, and it paid $13 an hour. So it was like a last resort thing almost. I applied and really I just sit there and comb out head lice all day.
INSM: What do you like about your job?
KR: I get to work with kids a lot, which is really fun. They're always amusing and um I don't know. They're just they have interesting perspectives on things. Some of them will be like, "oh how many did I have? Did I beat my brother or sister?" It's kind of funny that they take that sort of spin on it.
INSM: What do you not like about your job?
KR: Um some kids can get really difficult, I guess. They squirm, or try and get themselves out of the chair, or, you know, stuff like that.
INSM: Had you ever had head lice before you started your job?
KR: I had never had head lice and I still have never gotten it. So, I know.
INSM: Amazing.
KR: Yeah.
INSM: And um, if you could give advice to yourself as a high schooler, what would it be?
KR: Oh, man. I'd probably say, don't take high school so seriously. I mean, getting in college is important, but you should also have fun in high school.
INSM: Is that your ride?
KR: It is.
INSM: If you could ask a stranger one question, what would it be?
KR: Oh my gosh. Um, what's your favorite thing about living in Berkeley? If they live in Berkeley. And if not, what's their favorite thing about where they live?
INSM: Awesome. Thanks so much.
KR: Yeah, no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment