Friday, August 2, 2013

August 2, 5:56 p.m., corner of Keith & College, Oakland, CA


K: Uh, my name's Karen, and I am 70 years old.
INSM: And what brings you to this place at this time?
K: I am waiting to meet a friend for dinner.
INSM: Um, what is your favorite smell?
K: My favorite smell?
INSM: Mmhm
K: Uh, I would say, it is probably maybe laundry that's been hanging on the line in the sun.
INSM: And, what is the best decision that you feel that you've made?
K: Uh, well I don't I'm not a person uh who regrets a lot. So I generally, once I make a decision, it's it's a good one.
INSM: Um, what's your favorite childhood memory?
K: My favorite childhood memory is I think I was uh 6 years old, and I got a pink and white Schwinn bicycle on Christmas morning. It's also my birthday. So, it was a double present. Christmas and birthday.
INSM: How do you figure out what to do with your life?
K: Uh, you know, I decide what I like to do, and um you know I think if you don't like doing something, you might have to do it for a while, but you shouldn't sink into it and do it forever.
INSM: What do you like to do?
K: Uh, I enjoy work. I enjoy gardening, I enjoy cooking, I enjoy my grandchildren immensely. Uh, those are mainly the things I like.
INSM: If you could give advice to yourself at age 30, what would it be?
K: Not to worry so much about how things are going to turn out. They're going to turn out how they turn out, and you really don't have the control you think you do.
INSM: And if you could ask a stranger 1 question, what would it be?
K: A stranger? Let's see. I would ask that stranger, uh, just uh who are you? Uh, so you won't be a stranger.
INSM: Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment