Tuesday, August 20, 2013

August 20, 5:11 p.m., Likelike Hwy, O'ahu, Hawaii



The woman ahead of me in the airport security line is wearing a large hat and holding a small dog. “What’s her name?” airport security asks. “Emily Rose.” She is wearing a cardigan and bow. And maybe pearls. Or perhaps I have imagined that. “She loves to travel.”

I linger in the airport bookshop. I’ve struggled to immerse myself in a story for months. Nothing takes. I don’t seem to be able to coax myself into spending time with any of those people in any of their places. And then. I find Blue Nights. One winter, kneeling on the floor of a bookshop in Boston, I read The Year of Magical Thinking almost in its entirety, quite by accident. I started standing, but slid to the floor as I slipped into the story. So perhaps it comes as no surprise that, at least for the moment, Blue Nights is doing the trick.

When I see Kailua Beach for the first time, it is by moonlight. I hesitate to dip my toe in because I won’t be able to see what I’m getting myself into. Then I realize how few opportunities one has to wade in the Pacific under a full moon. Even in the darkness, Kailua promises to be beautiful. I slip my shoes off. The sand is soft and the water warm. I am looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment